Hi, I’m James. Thanks for reading.
I’m currently a graduate student and Assistant Professor of Digital Media Design.
As a doctoral candidate at Creighton University, my research interests include communicating leadership, non-traditional leadership models, subversive leadership, language, and technology. I am currently conducting my dissertation research. My working dissertation title is “Instructor as Leader: A Gestalt Pedagogical Approach to Career and Technical Education In Postsecondary Contexts.”
As a teacher, I’m excited to share my work experience and research with my students. I have taught a wide range of courses in communication, including Public Speaking, Media and Society, Mass Media Communications, Web Design (I-III), Typography, Design/Digital Media Fundamentals, and Multimedia Production, among others.
I currently live in Columbus, OH with my partner and my two big hairy dogs. I love food and really enjoy good bourbon.
Assistant Professor, Digital Media Design, August 2018-Present
Adjunct Faculty, Digital Media Design, June 2014-August, 2018
Central Ohio Technical College, Newark, OH
- Course(s) taught: Mass Media Communication, Interactive Publishing, Mobile Web Development, Web Development Levels 1-3, Software Fundamentals, Graphic Design, Digital Media Practicum/Internship
- Facilitated “College Aspire” summer workshop course in photography and digital multimedia
Adjunct Faculty, Communications/Graphic Design
Southern New Hampshire University,
College of Online and Continuing Education, Manchester, NH
• Course(s) taught/prepared to teach: Desktop Publishing, Graphics and Layout in Print Media, Basic and Advanced Digital Graphic Design for Web
General Education Faculty
Hondros College of Nursing, Westerville, OH
June 2016-July 2018
- Provide in-classroom communication instruction for students enrolled in the Associates in Nursing program
- Course(s) taught: Public Speaking
Adjunct Faculty, Communications
Capital University, Columbus, OH
August 2016-May 2018
- Course(s) taught: Oral Communication, Media & Society, Interpersonal Communication
Co-Founder and Managing Partner
The Sheepdog Creative Group/Inquiry Communication Studio, Columbus, Ohio (merged in 2010)
- Participate in and manage day-to-day operations of full-service creative firm; serve as primary business manager, interactive lead, and creative director
- Duties include strategic planning, creative/art direction, content creation, copy writing/editing, web design/development, and technical support
- Notable clients: Walsh Jesuit High School, St. Ignatius High School, Crimson Cup Coffee, The University of Washington, American Greetings/Learning Horizons, Lake Erie Shores and Islands, North Coast Health Ministry, Covenant House Academies, Big Sam’s Funky Nation
Account Service Coordinator
Trumpet Advertising, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Assisted in the creation and management of client campaigns, provided administrative support, strategic planning, and served as client/agency liaison
- Notable clients: Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Louisiana Tobacco Free Living
Ed.D., Interdisciplinary Leadership
Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska
Est. Completion, Dec. 2018
- Working dissertation title: “Instructor as Leader: A Gestalt Pedagogical Approach to Postsecondary Career and Technical Education”
M.A., Communication & Leadership
Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington
- Nominated for Top Thesis Award, National Communication Association
- 4.0 cumulative GPA
- Member, Lambda Pi Eta : National Communication Association Honor Society
B.A., Communication (Advertising)
Loyola University New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Named “Top 10 Senior” for outstanding contributions to Loyola community
- University Programming Board President and Marketing Coordinator
- AAF Student AdClub Chapter President/NSAC plans book director & presenter
- Received numerous student ADDYs and awards from NACA, ACUI
Jarc, J. (2018). Internet slang; Net neutrality. In Sage Encyclopedia of the Internet. Warf, B. (Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Jarc, J. (2017). Media ecology education: Podcasts as multimodal demonstrations of learning. Explorations in Media Ecology, 16(2&3).
Jarc, J., & Garwood, T. (2017). Benevolent subversion: Graffiti, street art, and the emergence of the anonymous leader. In Erenrich, S., & Wergin, J. (Eds.), Grassroots leadership and the arts for social change. Bigley, England: Emerald.
Jarc, J. (2015). Parlance, perception, and power: An inquiry into non-standard language use in digital media [Master’s thesis]. Available from: http://search.proquest.com/docview/1684659688
Jarc, J. (2014). Mobiliteracy: Applying Ong’s psychodynamic characteristics to users of mobile communication technology. Communication Research Trends, 33(1), 21-26.
“Fostering Professionalism in Applied Communication Courses: Making Sense of Dollars and Cents” : GIFTS (Great Ideas for Teaching) Presentation. Ohio Communication Association Conference. Akron, OH. October, 2018 (Accepted)
“Exploring Non-Leadership in a Global Workplace” Paper Presentation: Gonzaga University Leadership Studies Student Research Symposium. Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA. March, 2015
“Mobiliterates: Applying Ong’s Psychodynamics to Mobile Users” Conference Presentation: An Interdisciplinary Conference on the thought of Walter J. Ong, S.J. Gonzaga University. Spokane, WA. February 2014.
“Tools of the Trade: Building a Strong Technology Portfolio” Conference Presentation: Ohio Banker’s League Marketing Conference. Columbus, OH. March, 2013.